Scope of questions for State exams of Master's degree program
Branch: Quantum Technologies
Subject: Theory of Solid State
Subjects regarding the questions:
- 11TPLA1 Theory of Solid State 1
- 11TPLA2 Theory of Solid State 2
- Structure and defects in solids, symmetry of crystals, crystal lattice, liquid crystals, nanocrystals, amorphous solid.
- Bonding in crystals, oscillations of crystal lattice (acoustic and optical phonons), heat capacity of solids.
- Schrödinger equation in solids (adiabatic approximation, one-electron approximation), solution of Schrödinger equation in Hartree –Fock approximation, Bloch solution in periodic potential in crystal.
- Model of free electron in solids, reciprocal space, Fermi energy, Fermi surface, density of states. Methods of calculation of electronic structure in solids, band structure of different types of solids.
- Calculation of electronic structure using density functional theory. Kohn-Sham equation, exchange-correlation potentials. Description of wavefunction in periodic potential.
- Boltzmann kinetic equation, scattering of electrons on lattice oscillations and on ionized dopants, relaxation time of conductivity electrons in metals and semiconductors, basic transport effects.
- Physics of metals –model of free electrons, electric, magnetic and thermal properties, superconductivity.
- Physics of dielectrics –orientation, ionic and electron polarizations, optical properties, ferroelectrics, phase transitions.
- Physics of semiconductors –internal and dopant semiconductors, electric conductivity, Hall effect, contact effects, p-n junctions, photoelectric properties, surface properties, transistors.
- Magnetic properties of solids –phenomenologic description of ferro-, ferri-and antiferro-magnetism, Heisenberg quantum theory of ferromagnetism, spin-waves, exchange, spin-orbit and Zeeman interactions.